Friday, March 19, 2010

Toto, We're Not in Kansas Anymore...

I think there is a misconception regarding "Local" food. Recently I was asked how I knew that the foods we were purchasing were "organic". I was taken back for a moment by this question, and the realized that most of the people I tell about our move to go "Local" ask the same or similar questions. "Local" food isn't necessarily "organic".

What is the difference? A food labeled organic is required to be grown, raised, or produced using federally mandated rules. The standards outline the guidelines, practices, allowances and forbidden materials.Only USDA Certified-organic foods can use the word "organic" in the actual product name. Though most people think "organic" means "sustainable" that is not the case. Organic farms may fall in the acceptable definition of sustainable agriculture, however Organic products can come from large industrial farms which are unsustainable.Okay to lets break it down - Why to people eat organic foods?

I asked Mad Dog what he thought about my question. He of course asked me if I wanted the "real reason" verses why people say they do. I said I know why most people eat "organic" - let's be honest it's trendy! It's the new black, just like "Green" is. People want to get onto a movement and be in the know, but for people who really want to be healthier and think about the environment to a point, they eat organic because they think it's healthier for them, for the animals and the earth.  I mentioned sustainable above - "Sustainable agriculture is a way of raising and growing food that is healthier for consumers and animals, does not harm the environment, is humane to workers, respects animals, provides a fair wage to the farmer, and supports and enhances rural communities." (Sustainable Table.com) I think most people when they think about it are looking for sustainable options. I think the work "organic" brings thoughts of fresher, healthier and most importantly the small farm worked by farmers who care about their products, not the big industries that are moving towards an "organic" way because it is the tend. Remember "Organics" is the fasting grown segment of the food industry, increasing 20% annually.(Food, Inc.)

So we have "Organic", "Sustainable" and then "Local". What is "Local"? On average, your food travels at least 1,500 miles from farm to table. "Local" has been defined by many people and all differently. Some have defined it "as close to home (or wherever you are) as possible, and the closer the better" (Amy Cotler author of The Locavore Way), others have defined it as 100-mile radius (Alisa Smith and J.B. MacKinnon authors of Plenty) and others take it to an extreme and only eat from their own backyard. How every you define "Local" is up to you, there are not government guidelines and what I believe is "local" is my personal opinion. For Mad Dog and I we are using the 100 miles model as a base, but I think we both would be happy to remain within New England.

We are going "Local", however in going "Local" we have gone "organic" and "sustainable" because of the sources we have found. Mad Dog and I have different reasons for our local movement, but it all comes back to one thing - Family.

Anyone who knows Mad Dog, knows he's a card carrying member of the "Tin-Foil Hat" Society (sorry - I was corrected by Mad Dog. They don't have cards, because then you could track them easier.) If you don't know what I'm talking about - he is a conspiracy theorist. Yes, we have packs of survival gear ready to go at a moments notice, we have survival book upon survival book in our library and so much more if the advanced society we live in gets knocked back to medieval times. I make fun of him for this all the time, but he honestly wants us and the kids to have sources if we were to have to live "off the grid".

For me...I just like the whole idea and concept. I like the idea of going to the farm, knowing the people help put the food on my table. I like the kids seeing the farm, the animals and the farmers. Yes it's healthier and better for us, but most of all it brings us closer together. We take time together to go to the farms, find the sources and learn about our area. I don't want the kids to think meat or vegetables come from the grocery store - I want them to know where it all begins. Part of me wants them to be prepared and have good habits for when I'm not around, but most importantly I want them to enjoy the fresh delicious foods we have right here in our region.  I want us to support our community and get to know it better.

What should you do? Think about what is important to you and your family. If you don't want the fertilizers, pesticides and antibiotics - think "organic" and/or "local organic". If you're concerned about your health, the health of the animals, harm to the environment, the workers, farmer and community - think "sustainable". If your community, your state and knowing where your food comes from - think "local". You might find that you can get all three if you look hard enough, but regardless stay try to your reasons why. Ask questions. Talk to people. Explore your region. Your might find that you don't have to go any further than your own 100-mile "backyard"!

No comments:

Post a Comment